POSTING DATE: August 9, 2021
CLOSING DATE: 5:00 p.m. PST on August 27, 2021
8/17/2021 – Information Session Slide Deck added to Informational Webinar section of this webpage.
Proposers must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Must have a physical presence in Los Angeles County.
- Must have experience providing legal services for public entities.
- Proposers shall not currently represent the County of Los Angeles, any County Department and/or a Special Commission of the County. Neither the proposer nor the attorneys (including proposed subcontractors) shall currently have, nor will they have, any conflict of interest with the Commission. Any perceived or potential conflict of interest shall be disclosed in the proposal.
- The proposer must have a proven track record of adhering to required standards of professional conduct and ethics and in rendering sound legal advice with suitable objectivity and professional detachment.
- The proposer’s attorneys serving in this engagement shall be admitted to practice in the State of California and in good standing with the State Bar of California.
- The selected firm shall provide the legal services listed under Section IV. Scope of Work through a lead attorney and through at least one (1) other qualified attorney. The proposer shall have within its firm or through an established “of counsel” relationship at least one other “qualified attorney” available to render advice and otherwise represent the interests of First 5 LA when the lead attorney is unavailable. In this context, “qualified attorney” shall mean another lawyer who substantially meets the minimum qualifications set forth herein for the proposer and described in Section V.A – E Eligibility.
- Proposers, in some combination of the lead attorney and the other qualified attorney at the firm, shall have at least 15 years of experience representing public entities.
- The lead attorney must be available to attend Commission Board Meetings, special Board Meetings, closed session meetings, weekly meetings with the Leadership Team, and additional meetings and conference calls as requested.
Proposers that do not meet the requirements above will not pass the first level of review (see RFQ Section IX. Selection Process and Review Criteria).
The purpose of this Request for Qualifications (RFQ) is to invite submissions from qualified law firms interested in serving as Legal Counsel for First 5 LA. The successful proposer shall meet or exceed the qualifications outlined in the RFQ and should be readily accessible to authorized representatives of First 5 LA. Basic services include legal services generally within the field of municipal case law and within the category of “general counsel” including but not limited to: serving as legal advisor to First 5 LA’s Board of Commissioners, Executive Director, Leadership Team and First 5 LA employees, as needed; preparation and review of legal documents; and representing the Commission in Administrative Hearings and court proceedings. Required areas of legal expertise beyond general legal services for public entities include, but are not limited to: human resources, lobbying, public procurements and contracts, public works projects and data privacy laws (ex. HIPPA, FERPA). Please note that the firm may propose to subcontract for areas of expertise not covered by the firm.
For Information Purposes
• Appendix A – Proposal Checklist
• Appendix B – 2020-2028 Strategic Plan
• Appendix C – Level 2 Review: Proposal Scoring Criteria
• Appendix E – Sample Contract
• Appendix F – Bylaws
• Appendix G – Governance Guidelines
Please check this Funding Center webpage regularly for updates and addenda. First 5 LA has the right to amend this solicitation by written addendum. First 5 LA is responsible only for that which is expressly stated in the solicitation document and any authorized written addenda thereto. Such addenda shall be made available via the online funding center. Failure to address the requirements of such addendum may result in the proposal not being considered, at the sole discretion of First 5 LA. Addenda to this solicitation, if any, will be posted on this webpage. It is the responsibility of applicants to ensure, prior to submission, that their application reflects the most recent information and RFQ requirements.
Addenda Updated on 8/17/2021
- Informational Webinar Slide Deck added under the “Informational Webinar” section of this webpage
- Request for Qualifications was revised under description to reflect revisions to RFQ Timeline
- Additional section was added “Tentative Interview Dates” to share tentative interview dates and times
Potential proposers are highly encouraged to participate in the Informational webinar from 1:00 – 2:30 p.m. PT on August 17, 2021, to learn more about the RFQ requirements. Please register for the webinar at: https://first5la.zoom.us/webinar/register. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. A recording of the webinar will also be made available on the Funding Opportunities webpage: www.first5la.org/news-resources/funding-center/.
8/17/2021 Update: The presentation slide deck is available for review: www.first5la.org/legal-services-rfq-infosession-presentation-deck/
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
To ensure that all potential applicants receive the same information, questions and answers will be compiled and posted on this webpage. All questions and requests for additional information regarding this RFQ must be received before 5 p.m. PST on August 19, 2021, and answers will be posted on the website on August 23, 2021.
First 5 LA reserves the sole right to determine the timing and content of the responses to all questions and requests for additional information. First 5 LA may respond to individual inquires and then post replies to all questions by the posting date.
TENTATIVE INTERVIEW DATES
To ensure that all potential applicants receive the same information regarding tentative interview dates and times, the following dates and times have been shared:
First 5 LA reserves the sole right to determine the timing and date of interviews.
DEADLINE TO APPLY
An application packet complete with required documents must be received by First 5 LA no later than 5:00 p.m. PST on August 27, 2021.
HOW TO APPLY
To respond to this RFQ, please submit your proposal and all required documents through the online application system designated by First 5 LA by no later than 5:00 p.m. PST on August 27, 2021, by taking the following steps:
Step 1: Create a user account by clicking here.
Step 2: Once a user account has been created, click here to access the application.
Step 3: Once an application has been started, click here to modify and/or submit your application. Please do not create a new application once you have started your application.
Applicants must submit all required documents specified in the RFQ through this online form. It is highly recommended that you print a copy of your application for your records prior to clicking “Submit.” To do this, click “Printer-Friendly Version.” You should review the printed copy prior to submitting the application electronically. In addition, you should ensure that the attachments were successfully uploaded by reviewing the list of attachments included.
NOTE: Once the online application is submitted, proposers cannot make edits.
All questions and requests for additional information regarding this RFQ must be submitted via email to Marilu Guzman, Contract Operations & Compliance Officer, at [email protected].