First 5 LA, in partnership with others, strengthens families, communities, and systems of services and supports so all children in Los Angeles County enter kindergarten ready to succeed in school and life. To achieve this mission, First 5 LA advances community-informed policies that coordinate and strengthen systems supporting families with children birth to five, and promotes the strength and stability of First 5 LA as a critical voice for Los Angeles County’s youngest residents.
The following goals guide First 5 LA’s policy and systems change efforts:
Strengthen systems and services that promote the well-being of families.
• Expand access to high-quality family strengthening services, prioritizing voluntary home visiting, which optimize child development and connect families with appropriate supports.
• Promote and protect family services and supports intended to ensure families with young children are self-sufficient and can meet their needs.
• Improve systems that enable service delivery to be coordinated and family responsive.
Promote parents and communities as critical voices in policy and systems change.
• Strengthen community leadership to effectively drive and contribute to improvements in the policies, practices, relationships and norms that directly impact families and neighborhoods.
• Increase opportunities for parents and residents to be meaningfully involved in decision-making on issues related to young children and their families.
• Ensure community systems and policies are accountable for the inclusion of family voice in policymaking.
Expand access to affordable, quality early care and education for all children in LA County.
• Increase public investment in quality early care and education for children birth to five.
• Embed quality standards and support ongoing quality improvement in all publicly funded early care and education settings.
• Strengthen the early care and education workforce through increased compensation, competencies, and professional development.
Improve systems to support the optimal development of all children through the earliest screenings, interventions, and connections to family-centered services.
• Ensure all children receive early and periodic validated developmental and behavioral screenings and appropriate interventions.
• Enhance capacity and coordination across systems providing early identification and intervention services.
• Strengthen child and family serving systems to prevent, anticipate, and respond appropriately to adverse experiences, trauma, and toxic stress.
- First 5 LA's Public Policy Agenda (pdf)
- 2020 State and Federal Advocacy Agenda (Updated as of Sept. 22, 2020)
Past Policy and Advocacy Agendas: