Resources for Dads
Being a dad is an important responsibility that most fathers have to learn on their own. But if you're looking for advice, programs or support on being a dad in L.A. County, here is a resource list for suggestions.
- Dad's Adventure: This site helps men wrap their minds around becoming dads and offers a myriad of resources for all stages of fatherhood.
- National Center for Fathering: This nonprofit organization provides research-based training and resources to help men address and meet their children's needs.
- National Fatherhood Initiative: Founded to help reduce the number of absentee fathers, this website includes articles, research, tools and resources to help fathers stay involved in their children's lives.
- National Responsible Fatherhood Clearinghouse: This site includes tips, activities and a list of programs for fathers to learn how they can become mentors.
- Postpartum Support International: This site provides resources for fathers whose child's mom is experiencing post-partum depression.
- Rise Magazine: Rise Magazine provides education for parents about their rights and guides them on the steps they need to take to reunite with their children and strengthen their parenting skills.
- Children's Institute: Offers Project Fatherhood which engages low-income fathers, particularly in urban settings, in the care and upbringing of their children.
- Fathers and Families Coalition of America: Provides comprehensive, national fatherhood services, resources, research and advocacy.
- National Compadres Network: An effort that leverages reading and storytelling to increase the positive involvement of fathers, grandfathers, uncles, older brothers, compadres and other significant males in the lives of children.
- The East Los Angeles Community Union: TELACU, in partnership with other community-based organizations, is implementing the FuturoNow Fatherhood Project to address fatherhood needs of primarily low-income Hispanics in Southern California.
Fun Things to Do
- Meetup: Meetup makes it easy to organize a local group, or find one that already meets. There are several Meetup groups for dads in the L.A. area.
- Redtri.com: Red Tricycle's mission is to help parents have more fun with their kids. They offer ideas for cool things to see, eat, make and do with your kids in your neighborhood.
- County of Los Angeles Public Library: COLA's website has special sections for children and parents. They have recommended books by age, as well as kits for dads and kids to read and play together.
- City of Los Angeles Public Library's Parent Section: LAPL offers storytimes and programs across the city, and their website has details and other resources.
- Reading is Fundamental: The RIF website has book lists and activities in English and Spanish that are fun and educational for dads and kids.
2018 June 17: Happy Father’s Day! June 21: International Yoga Day! Do some...Read More
First 5 LA is working to make developmental and behavioral screening more accessible...Read More
EDITOR’S NOTE: Since February of this year, First 5 LA has hosted a monthly...Read More