Mother’s Day Self-Care: Connect with Other Moms
Mother’s Day is the perfect time to celebrate with a little self-care. And what better way to celebrate, motivate and rejuvenate than getting together with good friends? Here are a few fun ideas for rewarding yourselves with some much-deserved TLC:
- Indulge your inner artist — Get a group of friends together for an evening of creativity.Take one of Los Angeles’ many one-night painting classes or host a crafts-and-cocktails night at home with other moms. Pick a craft to do — from working with clay or painting to decorating cookies or cakes — and get creative with a good group of friends. Exercising the right side of your brain in making a craft can help you feel more relaxed and happy. Plus, you may just create a masterpiece!
- Walk or work out — Studies show that even a half hour of exercise three times a week can dramatically improve your mood and health. Teaming up with a friend to walk or work out can become a self-care habit. By being each other’s motivators and cheerleaders, you can hold each other accountable. Start slow — a half-hour walk around the neighborhood is a great way to begin your fitness journey. With a friend by your side, you won’t even notice you’re working out!
- Create a vision board — What kind of life would you like to have? What do you hope to accomplish? Keeping track of personal goals can be difficult when you’re taking care of others, but creating a vision board can help. Host a few friends to discuss short- and long-term goals with each other. Take old magazines and cut out images that relate to your goals. Tape or glue them onto your board. Place your vision board where you will see your goals every day, to keep them fresh in your mind.
If you need a quick boost of self-care on your own…
- Reflect on something you have overcome or an obstacle that is no longer in your way. How did you impact your own life in a positive way?
- Write down five qualities that you appreciate about yourself. What are your special qualities? What do you do really well? How is your approach different and unique? Finding and acknowledging the good things about yourself is one of the best ways to give yourself some care and love.
- Take a deep breath in, then let it out slowly. As you bring oxygen into your brain and body, you will begin to relax. If you like, you can repeat an affirmation such as, “I wholly and completely accept myself.”
2019 May 10 and 12: Happy Mother’s Day! Whichever day you celebrate, make this...Read More
Self-care: that buzzy compound word of the moment. Just hearing it can immediately...Read More
While stress is hard on adults, it is even tougher on little ones. Experiencing stressful...Read More
Overwhelmed and annoyed? Tired of the daily routine? Need a vacation but don’t...Read More
By Marian Williams, clinical psychologist and lead of the Early Childhood Mental...Read More
The first time my kids experienced death was when their preschool teacher passed...Read More
Have five minutes? Help your child learn and grow in just five minutes or less,...Read More
According to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, preconception health—a...Read More