Make Your Own Sand Handprints and Footprints!
Make your own sand clay this summer to create little hand print or footprint keepsakes to give for Father’s Day — or just to have as lasting mementos.
You will need:
- 1 1/2 cups sand
- 1 1/2 cups cornstarch
- 2 cups baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups water
- A medium saucepan (use an old one; the sand may scratch it)
- Baking sheet
- Dish towel
- Combine ingredients in the saucepan. Have your child help by stirring it well.
- Heat, continually stirring — with close adult supervision — until the mixture thickens and becomes thick like dough.
- Empty the dough onto the baking sheet.
- Dampen the dish towel and place over dough. Allow to cool.
- When the dough is cool enough to touch, knead it until smooth. Replace the damp dish towel to prevent it from drying out.
- Have your child create a footprint or hand print in the sand clay.
- Place on the baking sheet, and bake in a low oven (170°F or the lowest setting) for two hours.
- Turn off the oven, and allow clay creation to cool inside the oven before removing to prevent the hot clay from cracking.
While the Mayor's Census Story Time Events may be postponed due to the COVID-19...Read More
Research shows that being in green spaces enables children to thrive physically...Read More