Make Your Own Sand Handprints and Footprints!
Make your own sand clay this summer to create little hand print or footprint keepsakes to give for Father’s Day — or just to have as lasting mementos.
You will need:
- 1 1/2 cups sand
- 1 1/2 cups cornstarch
- 2 cups baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups water
- A medium saucepan (use an old one; the sand may scratch it)
- Baking sheet
- Dish towel
- Combine ingredients in the saucepan. Have your child help by stirring it well.
- Heat, continually stirring — with close adult supervision — until the mixture thickens and becomes thick like dough.
- Empty the dough onto the baking sheet.
- Dampen the dish towel and place over dough. Allow to cool.
- When the dough is cool enough to touch, knead it until smooth. Replace the damp dish towel to prevent it from drying out.
- Have your child create a footprint or hand print in the sand clay.
- Place on the baking sheet, and bake in a low oven (170°F or the lowest setting) for two hours.
- Turn off the oven, and allow clay creation to cool inside the oven before removing to prevent the hot clay from cracking.
Enjoy a free download of Ready for Kinder, a workbook brought to you by Best Start...Read More