First 5 LA’s 5 Signs of a Strong Family
What makes a family strong? Studies show that the strongest, healthiest families have five qualities in common. These five “protective factors” help create a safe and healthy environment for adults to be the best parents we can be—and for our children to learn, grow, and develop to their best potential:
- Stress Management Strategies. It’s a given that parenting is stressful. How we deal with stress can make all the difference in how it impacts our families. Developing creative problem-solving skills, a positive attitude, strategies to bounce back from difficulties, and reaching out for help from trusted sources when needed helps increase our parenting resilience—and helps us manage whatever life throws our way.
- Parents Who Learn. Knowledge is power when it comes to parenting. Learning facts about how babies and children develop, understanding what to expect at different ages and stages, and developing realistic expectations of behavior helps build happier families—and helps a family stay strong in the early years and beyond.
- Children Who Have Social Skills. While all kids can be challenging sometimes, children who can express and control emotions and know how to get along with other people are more likely to be part of strong families. Strong families have children who feel safe at home and in other settings.
- Having a Family Network. Strong families have connections to other family members, friends and community. From child rearing help, guidance and information to community and other resources, a family network offers emotional support and assistance—and opportunities for fun, as well!
- Knowing Help is There in Hard Times. When times are tough, strong families stay strong by knowing that help is available, and will seek it when it’s needed. Dealing with a family crisis becomes more manageable when we know we can count on help with resources and services.
By now, most of us have heard the references to "tiger mom" and "helicopter parents"...Read More
Build a strong and positive relationship from the start by offering loving guidance...Read More