FIrst 5 LA Five Minutes: Five Minutes to Beginning Breastfeeding
Have five minutes? Help your child learn and grow in just five minutes or less, with First 5 LA’s Five Minute parenting ideas!
- Get help. Los Angeles County is home to many great resource—including other parents-- to help you get started and offer continued support with breastfeeding. For more information, visit http://www.lalecheleague.org/web/california.html.
- Learn your baby’s “hunger cues” before he or she starts to cry. Newborns show they are hungry by “rooting”— looking around for food. Touch your baby’s cheek and he or she will probably open wide—which means it is time to eat!
- Feed your baby on-demand. To start, feed your baby whenever he or she is hungry. This will help establish your milk supply and eventually, you will be able to establish more of a schedule.
- Drink water. Help keep up your milk supply by drinking water every time you breastfeed.
- Eat a healthy diet and enough calories. Maintain your energy with a nutritious diet. Lactating mothers use an additional 500 calories a day, so be sure to eat plenty of good-quality fruits, vegetables, whole grains and protein—which gets passed on to your infant.
Related Topics: Breastfeeding