For a good, clean gift for Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, try your hand at making old-fashioned soap-on-a-rope! Not only is this gift useful, the soap also lasts longer because the rope keeps it from getting wet.
You will need:
- 3 bars of soap (enough for two soaps)
- Cheese grater
- Warm water
- Lightweight rope
- Wax paper or parchment paper
- Optional: food coloring, essential oil, flower petals
- Cut two lengths of rope – each about 24 inches.
- Grate soap into a mixing bowl. (CAUTION: Have your child watch you perform this step – cheese graters are sharp!)
- Once all the soap is grated, slowly start adding in warm water. As you pour, mix the soap until you have a thick, oatmeal-like consistency.
- If desired, add a few drops of food coloring or skin-safe essential oil/fragrance to the mixture.
- Lay out a piece of wax paper on an even surface, spoon out some of the soap mixture into two piles and place a length of rope on each.
- Squeeze and form your soap mixture around the rope until you have a nice round shape. If you like, press rose petals or lavender on the outside of your soap.
- Let your soap-on-a-rope sit in a cool place for two to three days to dry. Once dry, package it up and gift to a special parent!
Research shows that being in green spaces enables children to thrive physically...Read More