DIY Holiday Presents to Make with Kids: Granola Gift Jar
This Granola Gift Jar is an easy and fun present to make with children ages 2 and up. Both delicious and healthy, it is great for nearly anyone on your family’s list this holiday season.
- 1½ cups rolled oats (not instant oatmeal)
- ½ cup chopped or sliced unsalted nuts: almonds, walnuts, cashews, pecans or your favorite kind
- ½ cup any kind or a combination of unsalted seeds, such as sunflower seeds and/or pumpkin seeds
- ⅔ cup dried fruit such as raisins, chopped dates, chopped apricots or cranberries
- Beginning with oats, pour a 1" layer of each type of ingredient into a clean mason jar to create horizontal “stripes.” If desired, place flattened paper cupcake liners (trim to fit jar) between layers and gently press down to keep the textures and colors of ingredients separate and distinct.
- Close jar.
- Include a card of instructions for how to bake the jar’s contents into tasty, healthy granola. Use our printable instructions or write out your own:
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove dried fruit from jar and set aside.
- Pour out remaining contents of jar onto tray.
- Add 1½ tablespoon of maple syrup or honey and 1 tablespoon of corn oil. Stir together.
- Bake until crisp and toasted (about 20 minutes).
- Let granola cool, then stir in dried fruit before storing in jar.
While the Mayor's Census Story Time Events may be postponed due to the COVID-19...Read More
Research shows that being in green spaces enables children to thrive physically...Read More
Blend chickpeas (garbanzos), steamed carrots and butternut squash blend until...Read More