Creating Healthy Exercise Routines During Quarantine
While the COVID-19 quarantine is a break from regular life, maintaining a schedule for your family is still important. Sticking to regular routines, such as getting up, eating and going to bed at the usual times can help lessen anxiety for everyone in the family. And even under quarantine, establishing and maintaining regular routines for getting exercise also lowers stress, improves mood and helps everyone stay healthy.
Babies and children need to be active several times a day. For babies, this includes tummy time, floor play and crawling. Experts recommend that toddlers and preschoolers be physically active at least 60-90 minutes a day. More exercise is better, and spreading physical activities throughout the day helps those minutes add up — and gives both parents and children a boost. Here are some ideas for staying active during quarantine:
- Take a daily family walk or bike ride
- Begin or end the day with “yoga time”
- Have a family dance party — learn a dance from a video, then tape yourselves doing it
- Take a jumping jack break every ten minutes during screen time — do 20 jumping jacks
- Play “Simon Says” as a family
- Run up and down stairs. Time yourselves, keep track of your times each day, and see if you can beat your personal bests!
Related Topics: Physical Health
Even as experts predict the worst of the flu epidemic could come this month, Dorothy...Read More