Creating a Parenting Network
As the old African saying goes, it takes a village to raise a child. Today’s “village” in Los Angeles County is a diverse parenting network of everything from information and inspiration to concrete support and expert resources for your family to get what it needs. Here are some ways, both traditional and unexpected, to create your own parenting network, drawing upon the power of all kinds of connections:
- Friends, friends of friends, and neighbors. Whether it’s insights into the best playground in the neighborhood or lending a hand when you need a break, the “friend-network” is invaluable for parenting inspiration and experience.
- Your child’s “connections.” Getting to know your child’s friends’ parents and becoming involved in your child’s day care or preschool is great for trading parenting ideas and resources--and creating lifelong family friendships. Teachers, administrators, pediatricians and others are great resources for connecting to information, support and more.
- Local community connections. Your local library, religious or community center, recreational facilities and other places where you live offer ways to connect with people and resources that can help you access things your family wants and needs.
- Electronic community connections. Want to get advice from or meet up with other parents, get information on everything from breastfeeding to picking a preschool, or find news you can use on events for families and more? It’s all happening online.
- Calling 2-1-1. Get the 411 on Los Angeles County parenting resources and service—everything by calling 211! Live experts at 211 L.A. County screen and connect callers to the people and places that can help your family with a wide range of services for emergencies and crisis situations as well as everyday issues, from health screenings and care to housing issues to job help and much more. The service is completely free, and available 24/7, 365 days a year. And it’s proudly supported by First 5 LA!
Build a strong and positive relationship from the start by offering loving guidance...Read More
Have five minutes? Help your child learn and grow in just five minutes or less,...Read More