Best Start and First 5 LA say, "Rethink Your Drink!"
Thank you to First 5 LAs editor Denise Nix for this article. For more articles like this, sign up for First 5 LAs weekly e-newsletter, the Monday Morning Report.
Our children are our communitys most valuable resource, and their healthy development should be our highest priority. When youngsters regularly choose beverages with added sugar, such as soda pop instead of water, they are putting themselves at risk for obesity and cavities. This summer, First 5 LA and Best Start are supporting one of Best Starts goals, children maintain a healthy weight, with our Rethink Your Drink campaign.
Leading the way is Potter the Otter, the star of a free, bilingual childrens book who teaches his animal buddies to choose water, which we will be giving away at events all summer. We are also partnering with agencies and nonprofit organizations throughout the county and in our Best Start communities to spread the word.
Theres plenty on tap to fill your cup:
- Visit the Rethink Your Drink page at Ready. Set. Grow! for all the event listings, water-switching tips for parents, scary sugar facts, information on sugar substitutes, kid-friendly activities and a pledge to drink more water.
- First 5 LA representatives, city officials and Potter the Otter will be in South El Monte on July 21 at El Monte at the city-sponsored outdoor concerts. The cities, which are Best Start communities, have passed ordinances banning sugar-sweetened drinks at their events and facilities. You can learn more details about these events at the Rethink Your Drink page.
- Potter the Otter will visit some local libraries during story times. Children in attendance will hear ”Potter the Otter: A Tale About Water,” get their own copy of the book, a water bottle and a photo with Potter.
- Best Start is hosting Play Days at parks with lots of activities, healthy snacks, giveaways and, of course, Potter. To find out more about Play Days go to BestStartLA.org.
- First 5 LA and the California Center for Public Health Advocacy are releasing a sugar-sweetened beverage policy brief. Watch for more information on it soon.
- Keep connected and up on the latest by following or liking First 5 LA, Ready. Set. Grow! and Best Start on Facebook and Twitter. Well be posting event information and photos of the kids with Potter.
And remember to spread the word that water is best!
Related Topics: Nutrition
Research shows that when people immigrate to the United States, their diet changes...Read More