A Recipe You Can Count On!
Cooking is always a great lesson in measuring and early math skills, but this recipe is truly one to count on. Easy and satisfying, 5-4-3-2-1 Caramel Apple TartCake encourages all-ages involvement and produces a delicious result, with more than a dash of math thrown in.
5-4-3-2-1 Caramel Apple
5 heaped tablespoons flour
4 heaped tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons milk, any type
2 tablespoons oil
1 apple (large)
1 pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- Dash of vanilla (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease 8” or 9” cake pan.
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk in the milk, eggs and oil.
- Pour batter mixture into prepared cake pan and set aside.
- Peel and cut apple into thin slices.
- Overlap apple slices in circles on top of batter.
- Cook for 15 minutes in heated oven.
- While the tart-cake cooks, make glaze by combining sugar and butter in a small saucepan over low heat until melted.
- Beat in egg and cook mixture over low heat, stirring frequently. Continue to cook and stir for a few minutes until thickened.
- Take out the cake and pour glaze over the apple slices on top.
- Return to oven and cook for another 10 minutes until glaze is caramelized.