First 5 LA’s goal for funding conferences and events is to support knowledge sharing activities that advance the field of early child development through:
- Increasing community and/or professional capacity
- Disseminating best and promising practices
- Sharing new research findings
To this end, sponsorships will be awarded to conferences and events that relate to one or more of the following outcome areas:
1. Families: Increased Family Protective Factors
- Work with parents and caregivers so that they have the skills, knowledge, and access to resources they need to support their child’s development.
2. Communities: Increased community capacity to support and promote the safety, healthy development, and well-being of children prenatal to age 5 and their families
- Support a community’s ability to foster safe, healthy engaged, neighborhoods that help children and their families thrive.
3. Early Care and Education Systems: Increased access to high-quality early care and education
- Increase access to affordable, quality childcare and preschool.
4. Health-Related Systems: Improved capacity of health, mental health, and substance abuse services systems to meet the needs of children prenatal to age 5 and their families
- Improve how health-related systems coordinate and deliver care to young children and their families in LA County.
First 5 LA will not fund annual meetings, fundraising events, or conferences/events that promote religious doctrine or political campaigns.
All proposed conferences/events must be held in Los Angeles County and serve a countywide population or be in a geographic jurisdiction (e.g., Sacramento) that could impact policies and/or resources affecting L.A. County children ages prenatal to 5.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be accepted according to the following filing period:
- For conferences held between January 1, 2017-June 30, 2017: Applications accepted during the period of September 30, 2016 to October 31, 2016.
To apply for this grant opportunity, applicants should fill out an online application and upload supporting documentation.
Step 1: Create a user account by clicking here.
Step 2: Once a user account has been created, click here to access the application.
Step 3: Once an application has been started, click here to modify and/or submit your application. Please do not create a new application once you have started your application.
In addition to completing the online application, the following documents must be submitted:
Short biographies of proposed presenters/speakers at the conference and a statement clarifying if the speakers will receive honorarium and how much it will be (including speaking fees, hotel stays, transportation or meals.
Conference Budget (Appendix C): Budget must indicate what component First 5 LA’s investment will support (if appropriate, and indicate other sources of funding).
Any previous conference programs (if available).
NOTE: If the applicant is unable to submit application digitally, a paper application may be accessed here. Paper applications along with all required documents (noted above) must be received by First 5 LA by no later than October 31, 2016 by 5:00pm PT to:
Program Officer, Grants Management Department
First 5 LA
750 N. Alameda Street, Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Additionally, if the applicant has documents, samples or other materials that cannot be submitted digitally, the applicant must deliver four (4) hard copies of the materials within the application timeframe by no later than October 31, 2016 by 5:00pm PT to the address noted above.
Please review the following documents before responding to the application.
- Conference and Event Guidelines (pdf)
- Appendix A: Review Tool (pdf)
- Appendix B: Sample Memo of Understanding (pdf)
- Appendix C: Budget Sheet (xlsx)
For additional information or further questions, please contact Judith Gómez, Program Officer, Grants Management Department at [email protected].