Karla Pleitéz Howell is a public interest lawyer with experience in direct client services, systems change, and advocacy. She is currently the Director of the Advancement Project’s Education team and is responsible for managing operations. In addition, Karla works with key stakeholders to identify education priorities to assure equity in California’s education system. Prior to joining the Advancement Project, Karla was the Supervising Attorney for Public Counsel’s Early Care & Education Law Unit. She offered legal advice to small businesses and nonprofits; advocated for increased child care facilities throughout Los Angeles County; and led policy work in the Southeast cities to increase green space and educational opportunities for young children. Karla also worked as the Directing Attorney for El Rescate Legal Services, a nonprofit focused on assisting families with immigration legal issues. Karla began her legal career as a law clerk for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office. Karla attended UCLA as an undergraduate and holds a J.D. from U.C. Hastings.
- An Evolution in Grantmaking
- A Message from Kim Belshé
- A Message from Kim Belshé, the New Executive Director of First 5 LA
- Budget Update: First 5 Funding Spared … For Now?
- A New Direction: First 5 LA's Strategic Plan
- Capacity Building: What is it? Why is it important?
- Children's Dental Health Month Press Release: First 5's Address Children's Oral Health Needs
- California Earns "A" for Obesity Public Policy and Education Shifts
- Children's Health Initiative Efforts to Fund Insurance in LA County Hits $100 Million
- Christmas Comes Early for 1,000 Children And Families at Children's Bureau Event
You May Also Be Interested In
- It's Not Too Late to Give
- Children’s Garden Opens in Sylmar
- Baby, It’s You
- New Children’s Playground is Just Grand
- Did You Know . . .?
- Did You Know . . . ?
- Differences Between Premature and Full-Term Babies Evident in Early Life
- Let’s Move California!: Fitness Feria
- Raising A Reader ? A Champ
- Child Poverty Increases as Housing Costs Spiral, says Children's ScoreCard
Commission Calendar:Wed, September 26
Thu, September 27
Thu, October 11
Wed, October 17
Thu, October 25
Thu, November 8
Thu, December 13
Thu, January 10
View More Events »