Policy advocacy grants support a variety of strategies that advance First 5 LA's policy agenda and strengthen the ability of these organizations to be effective advocacy leaders on behalf of young children. Our investments pay off by resulting in positive changes that benefit children and families well beyond the timeframe of the grants.
The newly-approved funding will work to bolster advocacy in areas such as childcare, parent civic engagement, breastfeeding accommodations at work, early identification of developmental delays and affordable quality health care for children. Past First 5 LA policy grants supported efforts including dental benefits for pregnant women, increasing access to services for perinatal depression and ensuring safe play spaces for young children.
First 5 LA policy advocacy grant recipients are:
- LA Best Babies Network/California Hospital Medical Center
- Breastfeeding Task Force of Greater Los Angeles
- Occidental College Urban and Environment Policy Institute
- Western Center on Law and Poverty
- Asian Pacific American Legal Center
- Community Health Councils, Inc.
- Los Angeles County Perinatal Mental Health Task Force
- Advancement Project California Center for Public Health Advocacy
- Public Counsel
- California Food Policy Advocates
- Crystal Stairs, Inc.
- Special Needs Network