The FAQs will be updated periodically following training sessions or as more questions are received.
1. Is this all I have to submit now?
- In addition to this year-end report, your Program Officer may request additional initiative-specific reports, such as the Performance Matrix.
2. When is the year-end report due?
- The year-end report is due by July 31. Data should reflect the complete fiscal year, July 1 – June 30.
3. Will there be additional reports specific to budget/finance?
- Only if your Program Officer requests.
4. Is the training/reporting for financial staff or only for programmatic staff?
- There are no questions about budgets, and the majority of the information is for programmatic staff.
5. Is it possible to receive a list of narrative questions before we log into the system?
- Yes, on the instruction sheet your Program Officer sent you.
6. Is the report due July 31st an annual report or another 6-month report?
- The Year-End report reflects activities for the complete year.
7. I am working with others to complete the report. Who should I contact about getting them set up within the system?
- There is no need for logins or passwords with SurveyMonkey. Your program officer has identified a contact person for each grant. That person will receive an email with a link to the survey. This link can be accessed from anywhere, by anyone and you will see whatever information has been entered up to that point. You do not need to complete the survey all in one sitting. Your information will be automatically saved.
1. Am I able to enter data for the reports, save and come back later to finish?
- Yes, changes entered into SurveyMonkey are automatically saved once you click “next” on the bottom of each survey page, so you can come back later and submit.
2. Is there a spell check within the program for the success story?
- Yes, but we recommend that you type up the success story in word and then copy and paste the narrative information.
3. Is tech support available if needed?
- If you have questions regarding the content of the report, you should contact your Program Officer. If you require technical support with using SurveyMonkey, please contact Limor Zimskind, [email protected].
Organization and Geographic Information
1. We have increased the number of grantees we are serving from when we started until now. Do you want SPA/supervisorial districts for this year only?
2. Should we indicate the area that our clients come from in addition to the area we serve?
- Yes. We want to know the entire reach of the investment, so if your clients are coming from other areas please indicate that.
3. If we are working as a coalition, should the information be for our lead agency only or the entire group?
- The entire group. We want to include the districts/areas served by all partners that are funded by F5LA grants.
4. What are Best Start Communities?
- BSC focus on building supportive communities where children and families can thrive. First 5 LA supports Best Start in 14 communities across L.A. County. In an effort to coordinate our place-based work, First 5 LA would like to know if your project is working in any of our Best Start Communities. You can find maps of our Best Start Communities or look up specific addresses here: http://www.first5la.org/index.php?r=site/tag&id=576
1. I don't know the races/languages/ages of the children/parents/providers I serve.
- Please either estimate to the best of your ability (preferred option), or put the total percentage under "unknown."
2. Regarding direct services to providers, would that include, for example, having them come to an in-service training?
- Possibly, but ask your Program Officer to be sure.
3. When filling in parent numbers, does 1 equal one parent or both parents?
- One equals one parent, not both.
4. Sometimes we serve school-aged children--during the kids' vacation, for example--in order to help our parents out. Can I list those children under unknown?
- They would go under "Other Family Members." "Children" should only reflect children age 0-5.
5. What do I count pregnant women as?
- Count pregnant women as parents.
6. My project is Welcome Baby which primarily serves 1-2 Best Start Communities; however, we often have clients that are referred/transferred to us from other Welcome Baby hospitals who are serving other Best Start Communities, so do we include all Best Start Communities or only those the project is intended to primarily serve at our site?
- Include all Best Start Communities that your program reached. Confirm with Program Officer.
7. Our agency provides services in which we do mass screenings. The children are ages 0-5 but the group is so large that we do not track their ages individually. Should we record them all as “unknown?”
- If you feel you can make an accurate estimate of their ages, then do so. If not, then you may record them as unknown.
8. Our program does a lot of individual and family advocacy, should we include the places we have referred our clients and families, like food pantries, etc.?
- This is a good question for your Program Officer. As a general rule, we only collect information on services provided with First 5 LA funding.
9. We serve providers but our First 5 LA grant is not for this work. Should we fill out the Direct Services section?
- Confirm with your program officer, but the general rule is that we only want data for those services/activities you provide via your First 5 LA contract.