First 5 LA is one of 58 county commissions in California created by Proposition 10 in November 1998 to invest in early childhood development projects, initiatives and advocacy efforts for children prenatal to age 5. In November 2014, the First 5 LA Board of Commissioners adopted a new strategic plan to guide our investments from July 2015 through June 2020. The plan, Focusing for the Future, lays out a clear path for First 5 LA to maximize its impact to strengthen families and improve outcomes for the greatest number of Los Angeles County’s youngest children. The plan serves as our roadmap to strengthening families, the communities they live in, and the systems that support them.
Our Funding Center will keep you posted on new funding and contract opportunities, including our funding guidelines, requirements and procedures.
First 5 LA policy does not allow us to respond to unsolicited proposals.
First 5 LA supports programs and services for children prenatal to age 5 and their families through a competitive and open solicitation process. Below you can find our current funding opportunities.Current Funding Opportunities
None at this time
Partner Funding Opportunities
None at this time
Closed Opportunities - The following funding opportunities have closed while applications are being reviewed.
- Integrated Communications & Marketing Agency Request for Qualifications (RFQ) - First
5 LA is seeking one agency to help build engagement, trust, and advocacy
through strategic integrated communications and marketing. This includes
development of data-driven, research-based creative concepts to maximize reach
and engagement of target audiences and builds upon current and future public
will building and behavior change campaigns and initiatives. The selected
contractor must be able to provide strong earned media relations and public
relations strategic insight and message development to reach target audiences,
which are currently identified as California and L.A. County policy and
decision-makers, parents and caregivers, the general public, community members
- Printing Services Request for Qualifications (RFQ) - First 5 LA is seeking one qualified printer with the necessary resources to provide printing and delivery services for First 5 LA, including but not limited to, printing the quarterly Parenting Guide, the Parenting Guide’s promotional poster, the Parenting Guides’ delivery, business cards, envelopes, letterhead, brochures, posters, booklets and various other printed collateral for First 5 LA’s in-house and marketing communications purposes, on as as-need basis. Additional required services include the capability to sort, address and deliver mail materials to the USPS for direct mailing purposes.
- Multimedia Creative Services RFQ - First 5 LA is seeking one qualified agency to provide a full range of multimedia creative services, including but not limited to graphic design for print, digital, social media and presentations, photography, photo cataloging and organization, videography, film editing, audio production and post-production and related services. The goal is to complement existing integrated communications campaigns and initiatives, and develop new campaigns and initiatives that inform, educate and encourage target audiences to take action and influence changes in behavior and beliefs.
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Consultant RFP - First 5 LA is seeking the services of a consultant (individual or firm)
to design and implement a comprehensive workplan to inform how we can
best approach diversity, equity and inclusion (including implicit bias)
in First 5 LA’s internal policies and practices.
- Reissuance of HMG-LA Pathways Technical Assistance Provider RFQ - First 5 LA is seeking proposals from individuals and organizations interested in serving as the HMG-LA Pathways Technical Assistance Provider that will provide TA such as early identification and intervention (EII) content expertise, capacity building and evaluation support for the Unifying Agencies of the up to seven (7) HMG-LA Pathways communities.
- Landscape Maintenance RFQ - First 5 LA invites qualified firms to submit written proposals for providing Landscape Maintenance Services. The selected firm will have a minimum of 5 years experience on similar commercial projects.
- Social Media and Digital Marketing RFQ - First 5 LA is seeking one agency to provide social media and digital marketing services, specifically to provide strategic, data-driven creative concepts to maximize reach and engagement of target audiences and build upon current and future social media and traditional marketing campaigns. This includes creative asset production, paid media strategy, content strategy and planning, online community management and general account management, as well as the ability to measure and report on the impact of executed strategies and tactics.
- Regional Network Grantees’ Community of Practice Request for Qualifications (RFQ) - First 5 LA is interested in strengthening Communities of Practice (CoP) among the Best Start Regional Network Grantees (RNGs) and between RNGs and First 5 LA. CoP is a collection of collaborative reflection and learning sessions (i.e. face-to-face meetings, retreats, and web-based tools) that enable the RNGs and First 5 LA staff to regularly interact, provide updates, share practices, and create a sense of community that inspires ongoing reflection, adaptation, and practice improvements. First 5 LA seeks a consultant (or team of consultants) to plan, facilitate, and continuously improve Communities of Practice.
- QUALITY START LOS ANGELES (QSLA) SERVICE EXPANSION REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS (RFQ) - First 5 LA seeks a contractor to assist with increasing the number of Quality Start Los Angeles (QSLA) participating sites in Los Angeles County. This would entail providing the suite of quality improvement services to newly participating providers. The successful proposer and proposed subcontractor(s), if any, will work in conjunction with First 5 LA staff to co-develop an approach to both identifying the sites that will be served with this funding and the array of quality improvement services the identified sites are to receive.
- Help Me Grow-Los Angeles Pathways Request for Proposals (RFP)- Call for Interviewers -First 5 LA is looking for individuals to interview applicants from agencies seeking funding from First 5 LA for Help Me Grow - Los Angeles Pathways (HMG-LA Pathways): Together Strengthening Connections for Kids and Families project. We have a critical window of time to prepare every child for success in school and life. Thus, it is vital to make sure a young child’s development is on track and to address any concerns as soon as possible to make the biggest difference. HMG-LA Pathways is a project that will improve connections to developmental services and supports. As an interviewer, you will help First 5 LA select grantee(s) that will work with other agencies and people to test ways to better connect children to resources they need for a developmental concern. This work supports First 5 LA’s vision of a future where all young children in Los Angeles County enter kindergarten ready to succeed in school and life.
- Help Me Grow- Los Angeles ("HMG-LA") Pathways Request for Proposals (RFP) - First 5 LA is seeking proposals from organizations
interested in serving as a Unifying Agency that will form and be an equal
partner in a collaborative of agencies and sectors that provide early identification
and intervention services and supports within a given geographic region to
plan, test and refine approaches related to referral pathways. An organization
may be selected to serve as the Unifying Agency in more than one HMG-LA
Pathways community, but a separate application is required for each community.
A maximum of seven (7) Unifying Agencies will be awarded to form a
collaborative per community to strengthen referral pathways between service
sectors, resulting in a total of 7 HMG-LA Pathways communities across Los
- HMG- LA Pathways Technical Assistance Provider Request For Qualifications (RFQ)- First 5 LA is seeking proposals from individuals and organizations interested in serving as the HMG-LA Pathways Technical Assistance ("TA") Provider that will provide TA such as early identification and intervention (“EII”) content expertise, capacity building and evaluation support for the Unifying Agencies of the seven (7) HMG-LA Pathways communities.
- Optimizing Organizational Capacity in Best Start Networks Request for Proposals (RFP) - First 5 LA is seeking proposals from qualified entities to strengthen the capacity of nonprofit organizations actively participating within each of the 14 Best Start community partnerships to more effectively influence policy and systems level change within the local and regional Best Start networks.
- Consultant Pool Request for Qualifications (RFQ) - First 5 LA is seeking consultants to be part of
First 5 LA’s Consultant Pool (Pool) for specific areas of expertise.
The Pool will serve as a source of pre-qualified experts who may be solicited
to provide assistance and advisory services to support First 5 LA. Admittance
into the Pool will allow members to receive future solicitations for contract
opportunities with First 5 LA.
- Public Procurement Consultant Request for Qualifications (RFQ) - First 5 LA is seeking one (1) consultant with expertise and extensive experience in public procurement and contracting to advise First 5 LA on its procurement and contracting policies, processes, procedures and templates. The consultant may also provide project management services to support staff in implementing this procurement project.
- Learning Consortium Request for Proposals (RFP) - First 5 LA is seeking applications from qualified organizations to help establish a cross-sector learning structure that gathers a diverse cross-section of community-based organizations, services providers, county agencies, policy advocates, funders, and individual community leaders. The intent of the project is to cultivate relationships, share knowledge, and apply learning among partners to bolster their respective capacity building efforts.
- Color Copier/Printer Invitation to Bid (ITB) - First 5 LA is soliciting bids for a Fair Market Value lease of two (2) color copier/printers and maintenance support services. The copier/printers will be set-up at First 5 LA’s offices located 750 North Alameda Street, Los Angeles, California 90012.
- Built Environment Policy and Advocacy Fund Request for Proposal (RFP) – The goal of Built Environment Policy and Advocacy Fund (BEPAF) is to build the organizational capacity and effectiveness of advocacy groups and community-based organizations that are working to improve three focus areas of the built environment – parks/open space, transportation/mobility, and food security – through public policy advocacy. First 5 LA is seeking qualified organizations to serve as the Fund Intermediary to achieve these project objectives.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act ("HIPAA") Request for Qualifications (RFQ) - First 5 LA is seeking to hire one (1) consultant to provide expertise on Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”) to ensure compliance with HIPAA regulations for First 5 LA funded and supported programs and evaluations.
- First Connections Program Evaluation Request for Proposals (RFP) - First 5 LA is seeking to contract with an evaluator to design and conduct an evaluation of the First Connections Program. This evaluation will focus on: a) program implementation; b) evidence of effectiveness; and c) (to the extent possible) relationship between implementation and effectiveness. The goal of the evaluation is to: 1) identify essential components to implementing the First Connections Program and demonstrate grantees ability to embed and expand EII practices within their agencies; and 2) recognize what EII practices were most effective in standardizing early identification and making successful referrals (i.e., referrals appropriate based on screening results and families followed through on referrals).
- Architectural and Engineering Services Request for Proposals (RFP): First 5 LA invites proposals from qualified Architectural & Engineering firms to perform preliminary architectural and engineering services for the First 5 LA Capital Improvement Project to renovate the First 5 LA office building – exterior and interior. First 5 LA seeks to hire one (1) Architectural & Engineering firm to provide a full range of architectural and engineering services necessary for the preparation of the Capital Improvement Project construction work.
- Content Writing and Editing Request for Qualifications (RFQ): First 5 LA is seeking up to two (2) qualified contractors (firms or individuals) that can provide First 5 LA with content writing and editing expertise. Specifically, First 5 LA seeks experienced writers with the ability to translate complex, research-based, technical information into readable, easy-to-comprehend narratives that are easily understood by a broad array of audiences.
- Emergency Notification Software Request for Qualifications (RFQ): First 5 LA seeks one (1) vendor to provide a web-based system with emergency notification capabilities through an Application Service Provider (ASP) or through a Software as a Service (SaaS) provider.
- IT Service Provider Request for Qualifications (RFQ): First
5 LA is seeking proposals from qualified, knowledgeable and experienced
Information Technology (IT) service providers to augment our in-house IT
Conference and Event Sponsorship October 2018: First 5 LA is accepting applications from agencies, organizations, or collaborative groups with a lead agency seeking a conference or event sponsorship for the period of January 1, 2019 to June 30, 2019.
- Support & Implementation Of Los Angeles County Home Visitation, Prevention, And Other Related Activities Request for Proposals: The Los Angeles County Office of Child Protection (OCP) is issuing this Request for Proposals (RFP) to solicit proposals for contracts for a consultant or consultant team to help support and implement a countywide home visitation program and other areas of the prevention plan as needed.
- Comprehensive Fiscal Analysis of the Early Care and Education System in Los Angeles County Request For Proposal: The Los Angeles County (LAC) Office of Child Protection (OCP) is issuing this Request for Proposals (RFP) to solicit proposals for a consultant or consultant team to conduct a comprehensive fiscal analysis of the Early Care and Education (ECE) system in Los Angeles County. Questions and Answers »
- Strategic Plan Refinement Consultant Request for Proposals (RFP): First 5 LA is seeking a consultant to work with and support staff in the review and refinement of the current FY 2015-2020 Strategic Plan. This refinement process is grounded in the learnings and the recognition that the fundamental elements of the FY 2015-2020 Strategic Plan continue to drive and prioritize our work.
- Quality Start Los Angeles Development Evaluation Request for Proposals (RFP): First 5 LA is issuing this solicitation to invite submissions from applicants to identify a contractor to design and conduct an evaluation of the following Quality Start Los Angeles (“QSLA”) components using a developmental approach: a) assessment technical assistance; b) quality rating; c) program coaching; and d) specialty coaching.
- Janitorial Services Request for Qualifications (RFQ): First 5 LA seeks to hire a janitorial services firm to clean its office building of approximately 38,000 square feet covering three floors.
- IT Support Services Request for Qualifications (RFQ): The purpose of this Request for Qualifications (RFQ) is to invite submissions from established vendors of technology staffing services. First 5 LA is seeking to contract with a vendor to supply professional IT staffing on an as-needed basis to augment our current IT staff.
- Los Angeles County Home Visitor Compensation Study and Turnover Analysis Request for Proposals: First 5 LA is issuing this Request for Proposals (RFP) to select proposals from firms or consultants experienced in compensation study and turnover analysis to conduct an assessment of home visitor and management positions across home visiting programs in Los Angeles County, and develop a written report of such findings and recommendations.
- Call for External Reviewers - Los Angeles County Home Visitor Compensation Study and Turnover Analysis RFP: First 5 LA is issuing this Request for Proposals (RFP) to select proposals from firms or consultants experienced in compensation study and turnover analysis to conduct an assessment of home visitor and management positions across home visiting programs in Los Angeles County, and develop a written report of such findings and recommendations.
- Assist the Prevention and Aftercare Networks in Building Capacity – Request for Proposal: This First 5 LA partner, the Office of Child Protection, invites qualified vendors to submit written proposals to assess the Prevention and Aftercare Network agencies’ existing services, develop agency-based training curricula to increase capacity, and provide training and onsite technical assistance to these providers located throughout Los Angeles County. RFP Questions and Answers »
- Branded Promotional Items - Request for Vendors (RFV): First 5 LA is seeking to work with eligible and qualified vendors to support the production of branded promotional items.
- Consultant for Impact Framework RFQ: First 5 LA is issuing this solicitation to invite submissions from qualified consulting firms, consulting teams, or independent consultants to identify a Consultant(s) that will provide technical assistance and support the Integration & Learning Division in the development and implementation of the three phases of the Impact Framework.
- Security Guard Services - Request for Qualifications (RFQ): First 5 LA seeks to hire a security services firm to provide unarmed security guard services for its office located on the Union Station Campus in downtown Los Angeles.
- Conference and Event Sponsorship April 2018: First 5 LA is accepting applications from agencies, organizations, or collaborative groups with a lead agency seeking a conference or event sponsorship. First 5 LA’s goal for providing sponsorships is to support knowledge sharing activities that advance the field of early child development through: increasing community and/or professional capacity, disseminating best and promising practices, and sharing new research findings.
- Early Childhood Educator Competencies Professional Development Grants RFP: First 5 LA is seeking organizations interested in strengthening the early learning professional development system by integrating the California Early Childhood Educator Competencies (Competencies) into Los Angeles County training programs.
- Computers and Related Workstation Equipment Vendor Request for Qualifications (RFQ): The purpose of this RFQ is to invite submissions for vendors that can supply computers and related workstation equipment on an as needed basis to First 5 LA’s offices in Los Angeles, California.