Sweet Treats Recipes
Sometimes you just need a delicious, satisfying dessert. And now you can have several, which aren’t only tasty but also healthy. Here are desserts to make with kids that are quick, easy, have no added or refined sugar, are gluten free, vegan, and, best of all, truly delicious for everyone in the family!
Creamy Chocolate Dessert
The sweetness in this treat comes from dates, which are a great source of iron, calcium, magnesium, and Vitamin B6.
1 can of coconut milk (full fat)
46 pitted dates (count them out with your child)
2 TB cocoa
- Refrigerate coconut milk for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Carefully pour liquid from coconut milk into bowl, leaving solid coconut cream in can.
- Cut each date into eight pieces and place in a food processor or blender.
- Add 2 TB of coconut milk to dates and blend until smooth. If needed, add more coconut milk and blend again until smooth.
- Add cocoa and coconut cream from the can. Pulse or blend, adding a little more coconut milk and blending until creamy.
Sweet Apple-Cinnamon Compote
This warm dessert is ready in minutes.
2 TB water
- Core and cut apples into six or more slices (no need to peel).
- Place apples in a saucepan with water. Add a pinch of salt and cinnamon to taste.
- Cook over low heat until apples are soft.
- Serve warm or cold. A splash of milk or a little yogurt is a nice addition.
1, 2, 3 Banana Coconut Custard
This baked custard uses up ripe bananas — and also makes a delicious breakfast!
2 ripe bananas, broken into smaller pieces
1 can coconut milk (any type)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put eggs, banana pieces and coconut milk into a blender, and mix until smooth.
- Place a in a large (6 cup) baking dish (or six 1-cup dishes) in larger pan. Pour custard into dish.
- Pour 1 inch hot water into pan surrounding baking dish.
- Bake for 45–60 minutes.
- Allow custard to cool in the water bath before refrigerating.