Small Ways to Become a More Connected Family
Building stronger bonds is a process that happens over time. Here are ways for busy families to take small steps towards connectedness:
- Take time to relax together – Read a book together, talk about fun things you might want to do, ask questions and make eye contact.
- Encourage a family culture of helping – Connectedness can grow from making a contribution to one another’s lives. Provide opportunities for children to help – from cooking and putting things away to offering ideas on gifts for grandparents.
- Discuss your family’s values – What is important to you? To your child? Discussing the things that really matter – and demonstrating how to live by those ideals – can help foster a sense of closeness and belonging between family members.
- Check in with each other – “How was your day? How are you feeling?” Sharing and listening to feelings without judgment make your family a safe haven for your child. Being able to check in and discuss emotional health provides a vocabulary for feelings and permission to express them.
- Step back from screens – Screens continuously offer new ways to communicate, but can also get in the way of connecting with one another. Recent research shows that limiting screen time improves brain function and mental health. In celebration of Screen-Free Week, First 5 LA offers tools for families to consider the impact of screens on their lives and ideas for taking a step back from technology and reconnecting with others.