Junk Food Reboot!
Chicken fingers and fries and chocolate fudge — made healthy? It’s true! Try these easy, updated recipes for classic “junk food” favorites that are actually low in fat, sugar free and delicious.
Oven-Fried Chicken Fingers
- A pound (about 2 large) skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips and patted dry
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup breadcrumbs, panko or a combination of the two
- 2 TB grated parmesan cheese
- Cooking spray
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet generously with cooking spray.
2.Mix breadcrumbs and/or panko with parmesan in a shallow bowl.
3.Spray chicken with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper.
4.Put a few chicken strips into the breadcrumb mixture to coat, then place on baking sheet.
- Lightly spray the top of the chicken strips with cooking spray and bake 8–10 minutes. Flip and cook another 4–5 minutes or until cooked through.
- 3–4 baking or red potatoes, cut into thin sticks
- Cooking spray
1.Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2.Spray a baking sheet and potatoes with cooking spray.
3.Spread the potatoes in a single layer and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake until golden and crisp, about 30 minutes.
Healthy Raw Chocolate Fudge
- 4 medium very ripe bananas (brown is good!)
- 2/3 cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup cocoa powder
1.Line an 8”x 8” square pan with parchment paper or foil.
2.Place the bananas, coconut oil and cocoa powder in a blender or food processor and blend until very smooth.
- Pour fudge mixture into pan and freeze until firm.
Click here for more healthy recipes, information on nutrition, and fun videos about cooking with kids.