First 5 LA’s Five Ways to Be Active as a Family
- TV/Video Fitness – Instead of sitting still while the commercials roll, do some low-impact exercise until your program is back on. Jumping jacks, high knees, sit-ups and lunges are all simple and easy exercises that will get the whole family moving. You can also look up fitness/workout videos for kids that you can all do together to enhance coordination, build muscles and burn calories.
- Take the Stairs – Going on a family outing to the mall, or the movies? Instead of taking the elevator or escalators, choose the stairs. Turn it into a challenge and see if your family can take stairs the whole day.
- Go on a Stroll Before or After Dinner – Take a brisk walk with the whole family before or after dinner. This is a great way to get some extra steps in and spend time together. Try and make your walk a little longer every week and invite suggestions from all family members on walking routes.
- Plan a Park Day – Consider what helps your family get moving. Is it a competition to see who can run the fastest or jump the highest? Do they like to kick or throw the ball around? Try to spend at least 30 minutes on your feet with your family. Encourage your kids to think of some fun or educational activities they can do in the park.
- Create a Family Fitness Challenge – Get everyone involved in staying active! Create a chart of fitness goals with your children – aim for 30 minutes of activity each day. You can do any combination of dancing, walking, climbing stairs, doing jumping jacks…whatever gets you moving! Keep track of your daily progress with stars on the chart and “bonus points” for additional activity.