First 5 LA’s 5 Holiday Activities for Families: Community Care is Self-Care
There is no better way to teach children about the joys of giving than by doing it together! This holiday season, do something nice for yourself by doing something for others in your community. Here are some ways for your family to care for your community:
- Cook together for shelters, churches and other food distributors in your community. (See First 5 LA’s recipes here.)
- Choose and buy canned goods and deliver to your local food pantry.
- Make no-sew masks to donate to hospitals or others in need. Visit CDC: How to Make Masks to Help Slow the Spread.
- Thank military members, first responders and essential workers with notes and cards through Operation Gratitude.
- Talk about inequity, empathy and everyone’s responsibility to help fellow humans. The people you help in your community could be you — and we all need to help each other when we can.