First 5 LA Five Minutes: Giving Tuesday for Families
The season of giving is upon us! Giving Tuesday—the Tuesday after Thanksgiving—has become a traditional day for charitable donations as the year comes to an end. In keeping with First 5 LA’s Gratitude Campaign, we’ve come up with five fast ways for families to get in on the goodness of giving this year. Here are some ideas on how to celebrate Giving Tuesday with little ones:
- Give back to your community with a trash pick-up on your block, park or beach. Wear protective gloves and carry bags for refuse. Discuss how doing this helps both people and animals by providing a cleaner environment.
- Make a donation to a Los Angeles animal shelter. Animal shelters need a variety of things including newspapers, treats, linens, food, and more. To learn more about how you and your family can make a donation, visit the Los Angeles Department of Animal Services
- Invite someone to dinner who would appreciate the company. Do you know anyone who may be a little lonely? The gift of kindness and community goes a long way, and inviting that person to a meal with your family is a lovely way to give.
- Do a good deed with your child. Could a neighbor use some help with getting groceries? Does a friend have chore that requires some extra hands? On Giving Tuesday, identify a good deed that you and your child can accomplish together—then do it.
- Share kindness. On your drive to school or at breakfast, discuss how Giving Tuesday is a day to do something nice as a gift for someone else. At dinner, take turns telling what you did that was kind that day.