Creating a Disaster Plan
Ready. Set. Plan!
It’s easy to forget about the possibility of a disaster striking as we go about our daily lives, but many times, in the event of an earthquake, flash flood or fire, there is little warning. Taking time out to create a family plan and prepare an emergency kit will only build confidence about what to do should a disaster strike — it could also save lives.
The website links below will help your family learn, plan and prepare. Take time to develop, communicate and review each step with your entire family.
When children are involved in the planning, they are less likely to be fearful and more likely to remember what to do in an emergency situation.
A complete emergency preparedness resource, prepared by The City of Los Angeles, with information and contact info for any situation
Additional Resources for Kids:
- Be Ready Book –printable activity book for kids.
- Sesame Street’s Let’s Get Ready — Helpful information, videos, and activities as told by Sesame Street characters.
- Ready.gov Kids — teaches kids how to be prepared through interactive games and activities.
Additional Resources for Families and Caregivers:
- Free Disaster Preparedness training from the Fire Department: www.cert-la.com
- Help creating a family plan: http://preparesocal.org/tips-tools/make-a-plan/
- Disaster safety tip : http://preparesocal.org/tips-tools/be-informed/educational-materials/
- Create an emergency kit for your family. Here’s what you need to include: http://preparesocal.org/tips-tools/get-a-kit/
- Teach your kids about fire safety: http://www.sparky.org/