Applications Due: November 13, 2018 by 5:00pm PST
Updated: October 25, 2018 – Updated deadline, updated Sponsorship Guidelines, and included a link to system requirements.
First 5 LA is accepting applications from agencies, organizations, or collaborative groups with a lead agency seeking a conference or event sponsorship for the period of January 1, 2019 to June 30, 2019. Applications will be accepted beginning Thursday, October 4, 2018 and close promptly Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. PST
First 5 LA’s goal for providing sponsorships is to support knowledge sharing activities that advance the field of early child development through:
• Increasing community and/or professional capacity
• Disseminating best and promising practices
• Sharing new research findings
To this end, sponsorships will be awarded to conferences and events that relate to one or more of the following outcome areas:
1. Family Supports: Increased family Protective Factors
- Work with parents and caregivers so that they have the skills, knowledge, and access to resources they need to support their child’s development.
2. Communities: Increased community capacity to support and promote the safety, healthy development, and well-being of children prenatal to age 5 and their families.
- Support a community’s ability to foster safe, healthy, engaged neighborhoods that help children and their families thrive.
3. Early Care and Education Systems: Increased access to high-quality early care and education.
- Increase access to affordable, quality child care and preschool.
4. Health-Related Systems: Improved capacity of health, mental health, and substance abuse services systems to meet the needs of children prenatal to age 5 and their families.
- Improve how health-related systems coordinate and deliver care to young children and their families in L.A. County.
In addition, please note the following funding considerations:
- First 5 LA will not fund annual meetings, fundraising events, or conferences/events that promote religious doctrine or political campaigns.
- All proposed conferences/events must be held in Los Angeles County and serve a countywide population or be in a geographic jurisdiction (e.g., Sacramento) that could impact policies and/or resources affecting Los Angeles County children ages prenatal to 5.
- Conference/Event funds will be provided at no more than $15,000 or 50 percent of the total proposed conference budget, whichever is lower, for each individual conference/event. Award amounts are often less than the amount requested.
- Conference/event must relate to First 5 LA’s four priority outcome areas as stated above.
- First 5 LA may not be the sole financial supporter for the proposed conference/event.
- Applicants may propose one conference/event per open application period with the exception of fiscal intermediaries. Organizations that serve as fiscal intermediaries may submit more than one application on behalf of different sponsorship entities as long as the application reflects the submission to support two separate groups. The fiscal intermediary will need to submit separate applications for each conference or event. Each application must clearly identify the distinction between applications to support two separate projects and underlying organizations.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this grant opportunity, applicants must:
1. Fill out an online application:
b) Step 2: Once a user account has been created, click here to access the application.
c) Step 3: Once an application has been started, click here to modify and/or submit your application. Please do not create a new application once you have started your application.
Please click here for system requirements.
2. Upload the following required documents:
- A. Conference Agenda or a draft outline of the proposed event.
- B. Conference Budget. The organization/applicant must submit a budget indicating what component First 5 LA’s investment will support and indicate other sources of funding. As noted above, First 5 LA may not be the sole financial supporter for the proposed conference/event.
- C. Short biographies (if available) of proposed presenters/speakers at the conference/event and a statement clarifying if the speakers will receive honorarium and how much it will be (including speaking fees, hotel stays, transportation or meals).
- D. Any previous conference programs (if available)
Please review the following documents before responding to the application.
- Conference and Event Sponsorship Guidelines (pdf)
- Appendix A: Scoring Tool (pdf)
- Conference and Event Sponsorship Frequently Asked Questions (pdf)
- Sample Memo of Understanding (pdf)
For additional information or further questions, please contact Amelia Cobb, Manager for Special Projects at [email protected]