Chores For Children
Age-appropriate tasks build social and emotional competence, improve problem-solving skills, and help kids become more confident and responsible.
Here are some ways your little one can help:
- Straightening up. Help put toys away, carry things from one room to another to put in the right place, shelve books and throw trash in the wastebasket.
- Meal times. Help set the table, bring things like butter or salt shaker to the table, fetch things for mom or dad, and put things into the refrigerator after the meal.
- Taking care of pets and plants. Water plants or help feed, water, and brush pet dogs and cats — with supervision.
- Cleaning. Help dust, wipe tables and counters; use portable vacuum (ages 4 and up), fluff pillows.
- Laundry. Sort white, bright and dark clothes; help clean lint filter; match socks; fold towels and washcloths.