Who is served by this program?
LAUP serves more than 10,000 children each year by supporting private, public, charter, faith-based and family child care preschool programs. All preschool services provided by LAUP target 4-year-olds in L.A. County.
What kinds of services are provided?
- Funding for new preschool spaces and enhancements for existing preschool services
- Capacity-building to support preschool providers' financial stability and business structure
- Coaching and mentoring for preschool providers by experienced educators with the goal of enhancing quality among LAUP preschools
- Coaching for preschool providers on effective engagement of the families they serve
- A quality rating and improvement system, STAR, which assesses the quality of preschool classrooms and informs LAUP's coaching and mentoring approaches
Who is funded under this program?
Los Angeles Universal Preschool
How does LAUP address First 5 LA's four goal areas?
LAUP specifically addresses the First 5 LA goal area that children are ready for kindergarten. Children in LAUP preschools have demonstrated significant progress when compared with children throughout the nation. They also ended the year performing at or above the national average in expressive bilingual language skills, fine motor and literacy skills, and in social-emotional development and approaches to learning. Reports from the Universal Preschool Child Outcomes Study can be found here.